14 Dec NDOT NEWS: Reno Spaghetti Bowl Ramp Closures
NEXT WEEK’S SPAGHETTI BOWL RAMP CLOSURES ANNOUNCED FOR NDOT RENO SPAGHETTI BOWL XPRESS CONSTRUCTION
CARSON CITY, Nev. – The Nevada Department of Transportation is announcing the next round of Reno spaghetti bowl ramp closures as part of the continuing Spaghetti Bowl Xpress project.
Spaghetti bowl and Interstate 580 ramps will intermittently close, with detours available. Outer shoulders of the I-80 eastbound to northbound U.S. 395 spaghetti bowl bridge will be saw cut and removed to allow for future bridge widening, and concrete barrier rails and supports placed to secure the bridge for reopening to traffic.
- As previously announced: Westbound I-80 ramp to southbound I-580 closed 9p.m.-6 a.m. nightly from Dec. 9 at 9p.m. to 6a.m. on Dec. 21 (excluding the evening of Saturday, Dec. 12). Detour northbound U.S. 395 to Oddie Blvd. to southbound U.S. 395/I-580
- Newly-Announced ramp closures: Eastbound I-80 to northbound U.S. 395 ramp closed 9p.m.-6 a.m. nightly from 9p.m. on Monday, Dec. 14 to 6a.m. on Friday, Dec. 18. Detour via Wells Ave. to Sutro St./Oddie Blvd. to northbound U.S. 395
- Eastbound I-80 ramp to northbound U.S. 395 closed from 10p.m. on Dec. 18 through 5a.m. Dec. 21. Detour via Wells Ave. to Sutro St./Oddie Blvd. to northbound U.S. 395
- Intermittent overnight closures of eastbound I-80 to southbound I-580 ramp Sunday, December 13 to Friday, December 18 from 9p.m. to 6a.m. (will not be closed at the same time as eastbound I-80 to northbound US395/I-580) for roadway realignment. Detour northbound U.S. 395 to Oddie Blvd. to southbound U.S. 395/I-580.
- Intermittent I-580 overnight ramp closures nightly 9p.m.-6a.m. Dec. 13 to Dec. 18 (No two consecutive ramps will be closed at the same time. Detours will be posted.).
- I-580 southbound Second Street on and off ramps
- I-580 southbound Mill Street on and off ramps
- I-580 southbound Villanova Dr. off ramp
- Motorists can expect additional intermittent lane closures/shifts and ramp closures on I-580 from the spaghetti bowl to Villanova Drive/Plumb Lane through 2021.
The improvements are part of construction of the first phase of NDOT’s spaghetti bowl renovations, known as Spaghetti Bowl Xpress. Over the next two years, the eastbound I-80 to southbound I-580 Spaghetti Bowl ramp will be widened to two lanes and eastbound Interstate 80 lanes between Wells Avenue and the Spaghetti Bowl striped. On southbound I-580, auxiliary merge lanes and improved ramps will also be added between the Spaghetti Bowl and Plumb Lane, along with sound and aesthetic walls. The first phase of construction will not require relocation of any residences.
Additional interstate improvements will be built in prioritized phases through 2039 as funding is identified. Approximately 250,000 vehicles per day currently travel through the spaghetti bowl. The Reno-Sparks population is expected to increase 27 percent by 2040. Without the future improvements, population growth is anticipated to lead to travel delay increases of 53 percent through the Spaghetti Bowl. Project information and sign-up for e-mail project updates is available at www.ndotspaghettibowl.com.